Search This Blog

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Each day is another opportunity...

Yet another opportunity to learn and move forward. Each day is another opportunity.

Ahh, the tribal ritual of confusion has set in. Trying to understand this event that takes place this Sunday. So in winter it is always the same date. Dec. 25th. It never changes it never falters it is always the 25th. Some go to houses of worship some don’t. Some simply practice a bit of druidism and worship the tree and the bounty below it. Either way it never changes it is always the 25th.

But this whole ghost rising seems to be move all over the calendar. What? One year it is in March, the next year late April then mid April? I don’t get it. It would appear that this “one” event can’t be pinned down to one specific date? Despite the pinning down of the event of birth. At least that is the story, the birthday that is. Even that is disputed in some circles, none the less one specific date was settled on. However this rising seems to be based on a lunar cycle, not an actual date.

I am not mocking nor ridiculing anyone’s faith here. I do not suffer from any illusions of knowing with absolute certainty the vast array of faith systems. I put forth this question each spring in my attempt to understand the ghost story. Alas like most ghosts the story is shrouded in mystery and elusive. Along with being subject to multiple interpretations.

When pondering such questions I am reminded of a bright sunny day, I spent talking with a Catholic Brother who was visiting his blood brother and his family. They ridiculed his choice for a spiritual path that led him to farm with brothers of the catholic faith. The family from his blood line whispered in arrogance behind his back.

I seized the opportunity to ask questions. What kind of life he had led. He spoke with a calm unlike I had heard in a long while. Descriptions of a simple life raising the dairy cows and crops to sustain the farm some sales of their dairy products to the local community. Mixed with daily meditations and a striving for peace in this world thru their faith. Whether I agreed or his blood line agreed with him was of no relevance. However the calm this man displayed was rather impressive. It reminded me that I don’t know everything, his constant mention of learning and striving to learn more showed me something about living. Living is a constant adventure in learning. The key seemed to be the willingness. As opposed to a closed off judgmental attitude that minimizes and ridicules others for having a different idea. He never once displayed that attitude.

Funny thing was I asked about the rising of the dead and the changing of the date, this quiet peaceful man smiled and said… “Ya’ know Chris, I have asked more than one bishop about that over the years. Some got a bit defensive others just asked me to seek out the answer for myself… I still don’t have the exact answer. Chris if you find the exact answer please let me know, you may have better luck in your circles and in your seeking then I have or will.” “Exact answers!” I said. Then we both just burst into laughter. I heard he had left his vehicle a few years back and went on to other adventures. So for him and for me, I still seek and wonder. (without wonder might as well close the lid)

Yesterday I spent a better part of the day in conversation that was about questions and seeking. The one thing that happened thru out the day was laughter. Laughing about joy and discovery. Much like that sunny day many years ago. Maybe that is was easter is all about for me this year not the date, but just being able to ask questions and seek laughter.

Chris…


©2011
All rights reserved
Chris J Hutchins
Dog Hair Productions

No comments: