Search This Blog

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Blood on the sleeve...

In honor of Kris Kristopherson, I actually fumbled thru my closet this Sunday morning for my cleanest dirty shirt. (“Sunday Morning Coming Down.”) I was happy to see it and it felt good pulling the sleeves over my arms. I rattled around for a few hours doing the usual things. No, no, no beer for breakfast like the song goes…

However though imagine my surprise. I was looking thru some stuff and the light of the day was coming thru the windows like it always does. And low and behold I noticed a stain on my cleanest dirty shirt. “Hmm???” Say’s I, “that appears to be mustard.” No matter it is Sunday and I have no worries about a mustard stains from what was most likely the corn beef and Swiss with pickles and mustard many days ago.

( I was on my monthly quest for the perfect sandwich I came awfully dern close to finding sandwich nirvana… no it did not smell like teen spirit…) Ahh but I digress those that no me affectionately call it my babbling brook. Those that are close have been known to say …. “Chris, enough… Get to the point.” Those with caring hearts say “please?”

So I see the stain and glance again to the sleeve. That sleeve that is doing it’s job ever so well. “Another stain??? This is not mustard…” It is dark and there is a tiny rip in the middle of the stain, very tiny. It occurs to me that the stain is blood. “What!?!?” In my best sleuth mode I retrace my steps where did this happen how did this happen my thin armor of flesh has no marks, no indication of being bloodied at any recent time. How on earth, or where ever, did this happen?

OK, OK, mustard on my Sunday shirt no issue. Blood with out any wounds to my mortal flesh interesting. Indeed interesting. Alas I may never know as to whom the blood belongs to nor how it happened.

BUT!!! I know this I have the last two slices of dill rye and some pickles and mustard left. Today I will feast on mustard and pickles, yes the corn beef is gone it was delicious it fed my inner carnivore… I wonder how red beans and rice (chilled) will spread on those last two pieces of dill rye?

Blood on the sleeve makes for interesting thought patterns that have led me to dill rye, mustard, red beans and rice (chilled) spread topped off with dill pickles! Sunday has it’s perks!

Chris…







©2010

Dog Hair Productions

No comments: