Search This Blog

Monday, September 27, 2010

Who makes a deal with a liar?

Making a deal with a liar… Who would do that… How do you trust a liar? Well the obvious answer is you would not make a deal with somebody that could not be trusted.

So from time to time you hear of people making a deal with devil himself. (Utter nonsense.)

So for kicks and giggles lets say I was able to conjure up the devil. That’s correct I sit down with Mr. Scratch. Here is the first problem, Mr. Scratch is not to be trusted. He is evil correct? How can a deal be made? Furthermore how do you really know it is the genuine article? What… Just for me all of sudden Mr. Scratch is a man or spirit of his word? A deal is made and it is going to go according to plan based on what? Based on the fact that Mr. Scratch has seen the error of his ways and to make good he suddenly can be trusted? See how it just boggles the mind, that folks are supposed to have made deals since time began, with the devil.

The thing is “if” I were able to sit down with Mr. Scratch do you think I would make a stupid deal? I mean really, the idea that you go for a deal of a shallow design that leaves you to sit in purgatory what idiot would do that? I would think that if you are able to make a deal you would make sure that you are going to set yourself up to be better off at the end of the contract. All the myth around pacts made with the devil is so laughable, sometimes I simply roll my eyes and truly wonder if evolution has been stunted by too much self absorption.

I read a story long ago about this man on the east coast who actually claimed to have made a deal, he was careful about it in every aspect that he could. Then about two weeks before the deal was to commence he changed his mind. He sought redemption he went to a priest and they waved their hands and magic beads and wooden symbols of peace and the deal was off and all was forgiven. In about 3 days after being saved and finding salvation, he was run over by a bus. “Hmmm?” Says I. This young man according to the priest was punished by Mr. Scratch for going back on his word. Wait he was saved from the deal. The contract with Mr. Scratch was null and void… Simply due to words and symbols and faith. Then in return his new found salvation did nothing to slow the bus down or to offer this young man enough sense to look both ways before crossing the road. The lord gives the devil takes away? So do you wonder if the young man went back on his word his deal on both sides was null and void?

It makes no sense to me. With all the knowledge in the world and all the experience we as a species have to draw from how in the heck do we get so sucked into such a black and white structure of faith. I suppose it is easier then thinking.

If Mr. Scratch has the courage to face me, that could be a interesting conversation. However I will not be leaving a light on nor holding my breath. Who is to say the current dimension that we are in (and reading this personal rant) is not purgatory?

Chris…
©2010 Dog Hair Productions

No comments: