Search This Blog

Monday, February 28, 2011

Life partner…

Why is it if I say life partner, others start to judge harshly or more importantly… Wrongly? Simply by the term life partner?

I speak of my life partner often. My life partner is the one I turn to in times of glad tidings, or despair as well as in times of wonder. I speak of having a life partner and give such a title because that is how I see our relationship in every way. My lover, my friend, my fellow prankster, my life partner. The person I have chosen to share my life with. The person who shares in my happiness. I share in my life partners as well. I am grateful to see every aspect of my life partner. It is a partnership.
 
I have run into the situation of misunderstanding. Of course many misunderstand that being happy is described in many words. I am happy with my life partner. I much prefer the term life partner as opposed to any objectifying terms, such as “my wife’ or “my husband.” People are not property. Yet society in some realms seem to have a need to objectify the people around them in the words they use to describe them. I don’t get it. Perhaps if we shed the objectifying language and use real words to describe ourselves. Along with those around us, we might break down more barriers that form groups of misunderstanding.

I have witnessed people who objectify and berate the one they claim devotion and love for. I also hear the terms that relegate the other person into an inanimate object. Terms that minimize their human aspect. Hardly partners. More like one is the boss the other a subject to the whims of the dominate force of old ideas. Lacking respect and equality. Seen it, lived it, will never do it again. May others break the cycle and find their path to happiness. Where ever it may lead.
When I speak of my life partner… It is in these terms I prefer. Why? Because my partner is not an object to be referred to as an object much like we do a plant or a car. My partner is the one I chose to share life with as did they choose to live along side of me. Now as you have read along in this. Are you asking questions? Are you wondering if I am happy? Yes I am, and I am happy due to the fact that I have a life partner who accepts me as I accept them. I respect any one who has the same ability to accept people for who they are.

I think our society is confused. The evolution of our society is stymied by words. Or should I say the distortion of words. The distortion of meaning. My life partner and I speak in very clear and simple terms. If we speak in vague distorted terms we exchange our thoughts immediately about it. We come to terms of language that helps us both communicate clearly. No misunderstanding stands between us. That is how life partners work. In my humble opinion. Wouldn’t it be grand if we all could do the same?

The term life partner is a term of devotion and love. Well at least it is here in our home. If somebody has found love they have found a moment in time. One that can carry on for a very long period of time based on clocks and calendars or it could possibly be fleeting. A moment where they are at ease and safe. What difference does it make if the description of that person is simply called a life partner? The more happy people we have inhabiting this planet the more we can expect to grow and move along.

I love my life partner… I cherish each moment we share together as one, and those moments we long to reunite. My partner is there for me as I am there for my partner. If these terms make you shudder I have to wonder why? Why should anybody shudder if two people have made a life based on their devotion to one another. Celebrate their happiness.

This has been on my mind a lot lately and will be later I am sure. I shared it with the hope it helps shed some light for somebody as they continue on their path of evolution.

Chris J Hutchins

©2011
Dog Hair Productions







No comments: